Pumpkin thepla recipe - Today I am sharing with you all one more fairly spicy thepla recipe prepared with pumpkin and wheat flour. This mix and roll procedure is certainly a different method than the double roti style of pumpkin paratha which I had posted earlier. This is one of our most favorite theplas and goes extremely well with chutneys, chutney powder and curd. It has a soft texture and alluring flavor. This is exquisitely fine, subtle and pleasing with a hint of mild spice powder. The perfect blend of yogurt, chilly powder, salt and besan turn the theplas in an array of fabulous dish. These theplas are suitable to pack in the lunch box. It is a perfect technique to serve good nutritious theplas with healthy ingredients combined into one dish. The preparation of theplas doesn't need any great skill and meticulous technique. Even a novice cook can make these theplas very easily. Do check out other paratha and thepla varieties.
Cooking time 20 minutes
Yields 6 pumpkin theplas
250 grams pumpkin, peeled, grated
1 heaped tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
1½ tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds powder / jeea
1 cup wheat flour
4 tbsp gram flour / besan
2 tbsp curd / yogurt
salt as required
oil or ghee as required
Pumpkin thepla recipe with step by step pictures
- Remove the seeds and wash the pumpkin.
- Peel the pumpkin and grate it.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan and add the grated pumpkin and saute for 2 minutes. Cook covered until the pumpkins are soft and mushy. Do not add water. Let it cook in its own moisture.
- Once the pumpkins are soft, add the coriander powder, jeera powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder.
- Give a nice stir till all the ingredients combine well and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Once the pumpkin mixture cools, put it in a mixer and grind it to a smooth paste. Don't add water.
- Dust the rolling board with wheat flour. Place one ball and roll it to a small roti. Apply little ghee and fold it in the middle.
- Again apply oil or ghee on the surface and fold it as shown in the picture below.
- Now roll out this triangle shaped roti to a thin and round roti. Use wheat flour to roll.
- Heat a griddle and cook the theplas applying 1/4 tsp of ghee till brown spot appears. Finally, apply little ghee on the thepla and remove onto a plate.
- Serve hot with chutneys, chutney powder and curd.