Wishing You all a Very Happy and Prosperous Akshay Tritiya.
Akki kadlebele payasa or kheer recipe - I am celebrating this special day with this delicious payasa. Akki kadlebele payasa is a traditional Coastal Karnataka dessert, prepared with rice, chana dal, coconut milk and jaggery. The combination of rice rava and chana dal gives extra texture and taste to the kheer. In combination with coconut milk, jaggery and cardamom, this payasa releases unique mouth watering flavor. This is really delicious and I make it often.
1 cup basmati rice or any other rice
1 cup chana dal / split bengal gram
1 ½ cups jaggery
1 cup fresh grated coconut
7-8 cardamoms, powdered
- Wash and soak the rice for about 1 hour. Drain and add 2 cups of water. Grind it to a coarse paste and set aside.
- Wash and cook the chana dal in 1 glass of water, until soft and set aside.
- Grind the fresh coconut along with 1 glass of water to a smooth paste. Strain thick coconut milk, using a soup strainer. Again grind it with water and strain to get the thin coconut milk.
Rice and chanadal payasa or kheer recipe
- Heat 2 glasses of water in a large vessel. Once the water boils, add rice paste and cook stirring continuously, until the rice paste boils and becomes soft.
- Once the rice rava become soft, add boiled chana dal, stir to combine, then add the jaggery and allow it to melt.
- Add both thick and thin coconut milk, stir in between and bring it to boil. Then simmer till the kheer becomes thick. It may take 3-4 minutes.
- Once the kheer becomes thick, remove from the flame and add cardamom powder. Mix well. Garnish with cashew, almond and pistachio, if you like it.
- Serve akki kadlebele payasa hot, warm or cold.