Rajma, brinjal, potato kootu recipe - I make dal, sambar, saaru, curry or kootu almost everyday. When fresh rajma is not available, I use soaked dried rajma for the kootu. Brinjal and potatoes are combined in this kootu, to make it a veggie version.The required thickness of kootu can be had with use of boiled and mashed rajma. The roasted gram dal in the masala paste also gives extra thickness to the kootu. The flavour of kootu is on account of the fresh spices such as coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and fenugreek seeds. Onion, ginger, garlic and fresh coriander leaves enhance the flavour of this kootu.
1/4 cup rajma, soaked overnight
2 small brinjal, cut into small pieces
1 small potato, peeled and cubed
2 medium tomatoes, cut into pieces
1 large onion, roughly chopped
Grind to paste
¼ cup grated fresh coconut
½ tbsp bengal gram / chana dal, fried
1 tbsp coriander seeds, fried
¾ tsp cumin seeds / jeera
15 fenugreek seeds / methi, fried
1 cloves / lavang, fried
1/6" cinnamon / dalchini, fried
4 garlic flakes
4 dry red chillies, fried
Oil as needed
Salt to taste
- Wash the soaked rajma and add the chopped onion, salt and 2 cups of water. Pressure cook it, till 3-4 whistles and then on a low flame for about 5 minutes.
- When the pressure releases, remove the pan from the cooker and mash 1/2 of the rajma lightly and set aside.
- Boil enough water in a deep vessel, add the potato, brinjal and tomatoes. Cover and cook on a medium flame until potato and tomatoes are soft.
- Heat little oil in a frying pan and fry the coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon, fenugreek seeds, red chillies and bengal grams, separately until they are aromatic.
- Then mix all the ingredients mentioned under " Grind to paste" and put them in a mixer. Grind them to a smooth paste, adding required water.
- Then in a deep pan add masala paste, boiled vegetables along with water , cooked rajma and salt. Mix well and make a thick curry consistency kootu. Add more water if required.
- Then bring it to boil on a medium flame, stir in between. Once the kootu boils, add chopped fresh coriander leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
- This rajma kootu goes well ith hot steamed rice. It can also be eaten with chapati and rice roti.
- Serves 4 people.