Dalia upma recipe - Dalia upma is a simple and filling breakfast dish prepared with broken wheat. It is very important to have a balanced breakfast in the morning, after a long gap between dinner and breakfast. Therefore I prefer a filling and healthy breakfast for my family. Dalia upma is an ideal breakfast dish. I prepare it once in a fortnight.
Dalia upma recipe with step by step pictures.
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
1 cup dalia / broken wheat
2 large green chilies, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into pieces
1/2 cup fresh green peas
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp chopped coriander
3 tbsp grated fresh coconut
2 + 3/4 cups hot water
salt to taste
For the Seasoning
2 tsp bengal gram / chana dal
1 tsp split black gram / urad dal
10-12 curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp oil/ghee
Broken wheat upma recipe
- Roast the dalia on medium flame for 2-3 minutes or till it becomes warm and aromatic. Remove and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp ghee/oil and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering, add chana dal and urad dal to it. Saute till the dals become aromatic and light golden brown.
- Now add curry leaves and saute for a while. Add onions and saute till the onions become translucent.
- Add carrots and green peas one by one.
- Mix well and cover the pan with lid. Keep it on a low flame till the carrot is half cooked and change its colour. Then add roasted dalia to it. Mix well.
- Pour 2¾ cups of hot water over it. Add salt and mix well. Cover it with lid and cook it on a medium flame. Stir at regular intervals till the dalia becomes soft and water dries up.
- Once water dries up and dalia become soft, add chopped coriander leaves and fresh coconut. Mix well.
- Cook it on low flame for 1 more minute. Remove from the flame and serve hot. While eating squeeze the lemon if you like it.