2 cups oats, roasted (quaker or bindavalley rolled oats)
2 large onions, chopped
1 large carrot, cubed
1 cup green peas
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil or Ghee
Salt to taste
Fistful of chopped cilantro
1 tbsp grated fresh coconut
For the Tempering
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tsp begal gram / chana dal
1 tsp split black gram / urad dal
1 green chilli, chopped
1 sprig curry leaves
Oats upma recipe with step by step pictures
- Roast the oats on medium flame until crisp and set aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in the same pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start spluttering, add the chana dal, urad dal.and curry leaves.
- Saute till the dals turn aromatic and light brown. Add green chilli and onions. Saute till the onions turn translucent. Add the carrots and green peas.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Cook covered on low flame till the carrots and green peas become soft. Let it cook in its own moisture, do not add water.
- When the carrot and green peas cook to soft, add the roasted oats, sugar and salt, stir to combine. Sprinkle some water if it is too dry.
- Cook covered on low flame till the oats become soft. Stir in between to prevent it from burning. When the oats cook properly, remove the pan from the heat. Add chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Garnish with grated fresh coconut. Serve hot with hot coffee or tea.