Preparation time 10 minutes
Soaking time 8 hours
Cooking time 30 minutes
1/4 cup kabuli chana and brown chana / chickpea
1/4 cup green grams / moong
1/4 cup black eye beans / alasande
1 tsp mustard seeds
10-12 curry leaves.
1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 heaped tsp chili powder
1 heaped tbsp kala masala
½ tsp turmeric powder
fistful of chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Grind to Paste
3 tbsp grated dry coconut
4 garlic flakes, finely chopped
1 green chili, chopped
- Pressure cook the legumes using little water. Take 2 whistles.Cook till the legumes turn soft. Don't cook it too soft.
- Grind together the coconut, green chilli and garlic flakes to a coarse paste,without using any water.
kaddhanyachi usal recipe
- Hand pick and clean the legumes. Mix together the legumes and wash. Soak them in enough water for 7- 8 hours.
- Legumes absorb water and doubles in size, Now it is ready to use.If you want to sprout it check out the method here.
- Heat oil in a in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter.Add curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the onion and fry till they change colour. Add the coconut, garlic and chilli paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add chili powder, kala masala and turmeric powder. Stir for a minute.Add tomatoes and cook till soft.
- Add boiled legumes along with water. Add salt and mix well.Cover with lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Simmer till the water dries up. Add the coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve the kaddhanyachi usal hot as a side dish to chapati or roti and steamed rice with curry.