Masala bhath powder recipe - Masala bhath powder is mainly used while preparing masala bhath (spcy rice), popularly known as masale anna in north karnataka. It can also be used while preparing vegetable pulao or spicy rice such as mango rice, carrot rice, peas paneer pulao, mushroom pulao, onion rice and tomato rice.
1 tbsp split black gram / urad dal
1 tbsp split bengal gram / chana dal
1 tsp coriander seeds / kothambari
1 flake of star anise / chakri phool
2 cloves / lavang
1/4" cinnamon / dalchini
1/4" javitri / mace
1/4" dagad phool / stone flower
2 heaped tsp chili powder
2 heaped tbsp grated dry coconut
Oil for frying
Masala bhath powder recipe
- Heat 2 tsp oil in a small pan. Fry urad dal and chana dal separately, on a medium low flame, till they turn aromatic and golden brown.
- Heat few drops of oil in the same pan and fry coriander for 10-12 seconds.
- Combine together the lavang, dalchini, chakri phool, dagad phool and javitri.
- Put them in the pan, pour 3-4 drops of oil over it and fry for 14 -15 seconds.
- Pour 1/4 tsp of oil in the same pan and fry chilli powder on a low flame for 18-20 seconds.
- Dry roast the coconut in the same pan for 1 minute. Allow all the fried ingredients to cool.
- Now combine together all the fired ingredients and grind them in a mixer to a slightly coarse powder.
- Store the masala bhath powder in an airtight container.