Goan chicken shakuti recipe - Chicken xacuti is a delicious traditional curry of Goa with coconut and spice flavour. Traditionally, the chicken is marinated with vinegar for this dish. But, I skip this step as we don't like vinegar marination. Instead, I have used chicken without any marination. However, this doesn't make much of a difference in the taste. This chicken xacuti is usually served with steamed hot rice and rice rotis. But it also goes well with chaptis and other Indian flat breads.
Preparation time 30 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
1/2 kg chicken, cut into pieces
2.5 cups grated fresh coconut
1/2 tsp ginger paste
1/2 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 large onions finely sliced
2 green chillies, chopped
4 tbsp oil
Salt as required
Grind to paste
1/2 cup coconut
1 large grape sized tamarind
1" piece cinnamon
5 black peppers
2 tsp poppy seeds / khus khus
4 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
4 green cardamons
1/2 tsp fennel seeds / saunf
- Put 2 .5 cups grated fresh coconut in a mixer jar along with a glass of water and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Put the coconut paste in a thin cloth and extract thick milk. Add 1/4 cup of water to the squeezed coconut and again extract the milk and mix with the thick coconut milk. Keep it aside.
- Clean and cut the chicken into medium sized pieces. Wash them under running water . Drain and set aside.
- Mix together the 1/2 cup of coconut and chilli powder. Roast them in a pan until aromatic and set aside.
- Heat little oil in a pan and fry coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper together until aromatic and set aside.
- Combine together the fried spices, roasted coconut chilli powder, poppy seeds, tamarind and cardamoms. Put them in a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste using very little water.
Goan chicken xacuti ( shakuti ) recipe
- Heat the oil in a pan and add chopped green chillies. Saute for a while. Add the onions, ginger garlic paste and saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the ground masala paste, turmeric powder, salt and mix well. Add the chicken and saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Cook covered on low flame for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the coconut milk and mix well. Bring the curry to boil on medium flame. Further cook on low flame till the chicken become tender.
- When the chicken become soft, simmer the curry till medium thick consistency.
- When done, remove the pan from the heat, set aside for 5 minutes and serve hot with steamed rice, jeera rice, chapati or rice roti.