Chicken ghashi or gassi recipe - Chicken ghashi is a thick gravy prepared by using roasted coconut, variety of fried spices, garlic and yogurt etc. This is a very popular cuisine of South Karnataka, often prepared in every house hold with different versions. This chicken ghashi is an absolutely delicious dish with smooth texture. The robust flavor of fried spices and brown masala cardamoms, make the chicken ghashi very flavorful and inviting.
Cooking time 1 hour
1 kilogram chicken, cut into pieces
1 heaped tsp garam masala
1 heaped tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 cup yogurt / curd
4 brown cardamoms
Oil as required
Salt as required
Grind to paste
4 large onions, finely chopped
20 cloves / lavang
1/2" cinnamon / dalchini
20 black peppers
1 star anise / chakri phool
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/2 tbsp cumin seeds / jeera
2 cups coconut
2 tbsp chilli powder
16 cloves garlic
2 tsp ginger paste
For the marinade
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
Chicken ghashi with step by step pictures.
- Clean and trim the chicken pieces. Wash them thoroughly under running water and put them in a deep vessel. Squeeze the lime in it. Add the turmeic powder and salt.
- Mix well and rub the marinade to the chicken pieces and keep it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the onions till they turn light brown in colour.
- Mix the coriander seeds, star anise, cinnamon, black pepper and cumin seeds together and fry them in little oil until aromatic and set side.
- Mix the chilli powder and coconut together and roast until aromatic and set aside. Now, mix the fried spices, coconut-chiili powder mixture and fried onions together.
- Add the garlic cloves and ginger paste to the coconut onion and spice mixture. Put this mixture in a mixer jar and grind it using little bit of water to make a smooth and thick paste.
- Transfer this ground masala paste to a bowl and reserve 1/2 cup of mixer jar water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add slightly crushed brown cardamoms to it. Fry for 30 seconds and add the ground masala paste.
- Add the garam masala powder, kashmiri chilli powder and mix with the masala paste.
- Saute for 1 minute. Add the thick yogurt and salt. Mix well. Add the marinated chicken and 1/2 cup of reserved jar water. Stir to combine.
- Add the copped coriander leaves and cover with lid. Pour a cup of water on the lid and cook on low flame for 35 to 40 minutes. Stir in between to prevent it from burning.
- Once the chicken becomes soft and cooks well, remove the pan from the heat and serve hot with rice, dosa, idly, chpati, rice roti or any other Indian flat breads.