Prawn or shrimp biryani recipe - Here is wonderful prawn or shrimp biryani recipe for seafood lovers. Prawn biryani is a speciality of South Karnataka and this is my family's favorite dish. It is very similar to the vegetable biryani. In short, for non-vegetarians, its a nice variation with prawns. Generally, prawn biryani is prepared using small variety of prawns. But I have noticed one thing that the small variety of prawns doesn't release the desired aroma, whereas the large prawns add more fragrance to the biryani.This is a very delicious biryani that can be enjoyed with side dishes such as raitas, papads and salads. Jeera flavored butter milk is the gem of a drink along with it. This sumptuous one pot meal was delectable with softly cooked prawns. The method of preparation is so easy, and this biryani can be cooked in pressure cooker very quickly.
2 ½ cups basmati rice
½ cup of fresh coconut
30 large sized prawns
1 tbsp ginger garlic chilli paste
3 heaped tsp chilly powder
¾ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp cumin powder
1 tbsp garam masala
½ cup chopped corianders
Salt to taste
For the Tempering
4 tbsp of oil
2 tbsp of ghee
6 green cardamoms, slightly crushed
10 black pepper
2 allspice leaves
8-10 cloves / lavang
3 large onions, chopped
For the Marinade
½ tsp salt
- Wash and drain the rice. Keep it aside for 25 minutes.
- Shell, devein and wash the prawns thoroughly. Squeeze the half lime, add the ½ tsp salt and rub it to the prawns and set aside.
- Grind the coconut to a smooth paste adding little bit of water and set side.
- Chop the onions, coriander leaves and set aside.
Prawn or shrimp biryani recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker, reserve the remaining oil and add the lavang, cinnamon, cardamoms, pepper and allspice leaves. Saute till it releases nice aroma.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till translucent. Then add ginger-garlic chilly paste, remaining oil and saute till the onions turn brown.
- Add the marinated prawns and saute for 2 minutes. add the chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and stir to combine. Add the garam masala, ghee and salt.
- Add the rice and give a nice stir. Add the coconut paste and chopped coriander leaves. Add exactly 5 cups of hot water and squeeze the lime in it and mix gently.
- Cover the cooker with lid and keep it on a high flame. Take 3 whistles and switch off the flame.
- When the pressure releases, serve hot with choice of your raita, salad, chutney, papads along with a glass of jeera flavored butter milk.
- Variation can be done by replacing the prawn with boneless chicken.
- You can add green peas to this biryani.
- If the size of the prawns is small, use more quantity of smaller prawns.